JEEP LIFE AND THE GREAT OUTDOORS
"Not all those who wander are lost"
It's a great big world out there and I say... Let's go check it out!!
Hiking is a great way to get outdoors and moving. However, every year we hear multiple stories of lost hikers, and the the rescuers racing the clock to find them before its to late.
I put together a list that every hiker should make sure they look at and follow...The top 6 things every hiker should put in their packs.
1. Water. Hydration is crucial for survival. Although, you might be grumpy without food for a day out so, without water you might not make it. Most packs have hydration bladder pockets which work great. If not, carry your water. It is a must have! Not a bad idea to throw some purification tablets in your pack as well.
2. GPS. Staying on the trail is your best bet, but if you happen venture off you better be able to get back right? Hand held GPS devices are great, but costly. Every smart phone has an app too. Just remember you'll be needing a signal to use them, and depending on where you're hiking...battery life will most likely be an issue. My personal favorite though...A good old compass and map! just make sure you know how to read them.
3. Fire. Ok, don't carry fire. It will hurt...A LOT! Carrying a way to create fire on the other hand, is a piece of cake. Nothing worse than fighting off a cold, dark night. Hypothermia is no joke and avoiding it is critical for survival. Lighters, waterproof matches, and magnesium are all great ways to start fires when needed. Just make sure you don't don't burn the Forrest down! Smart fire making only. :-)
4. Fuel. No not gas, come on. Body fuel. Bring some trail mix, bars, anything lightweight, and nutritional. Fruit is heavy and goes bad fast, and carrying a steak in your pocket...will probably just make you the snack.
5. First Aid. Some type of first aid kit is the best. Make sure it has the basics, an emergency blacket and something for sterilization.
6. Knife. Last but not least, a good knife. Your knife can be used for all kinds of things. If you're in a survival situation, your knife will make your life way easier.
There you have it. My 6 things to carry in your pack. Now...go have some fun, be safe, and respect nature.
The Best of Past Jeep Life Articles